When I saw that WinUAE was to the point of actually installing OS4.1 Classic, I immediately put in an order to AmigaKit.com to get my copy. I ordered on Friday and it arrived Monday, just 3 days later. That’s UK->US in 3 days and I didn’t specify rush shipping at all! Good job AmigaKit!
The disc was actually the base install with Update 2 integrated (there have been 6 updates, plus the AmiUpdates that have been online only since update6). I first made an ISO as I find that is much easier than using a real disc with WinUAE.
Just setting up, I had to do the following:
Got the latest “official” beta version of WinUAE (not the quick fixes he posts sometimes). At the time of this writing, it was WinUAE_2900b12 (from this post): http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=970403&postcount=481 There may be a newer one by the time you read this.
Then, I had to download the PowerPC ROMs from the Zone! area on EAB. Just go to eab.abime.net, do a search for getting access to the zone. The file was called accelerator_roms.zip by Toni Wilen. Extract this to the same place where the normal Amiga ROMs go. I also copied the 44.69 version of both blizzardPPC and cyberStormPPC files to ones without the version (i.e. bizzardppc.rom and cyberstormppc.rom). Also, go –> here , to download the file called PIV_FlashImage74.zip, extract the single file in it, copy to the same roms folder as the rest, and rename the bin file to “picasso_iv_flash.rom.
Now, go to this thread here here <– and follow the Guide exactly. This was written for OS4.0 but I found it worked with OS4.1.
The only difference I found was that I unchecked the JIT Z3 memory option in the RAM section. I had read that it was very problematic in earlier versions of WinUAE.
Here are some pictures of my boot / install screens:
I missed the part about skipping the “Run Media Toolbox” and “Format Disk(s)” screen and clicked the Media Toolbox button. The emulation just sat there so I reset WinUAE and when I started back into the install, I got an RTG screen which was much easier on the eyes. Here are some images for the final stages of the install
Install took a VERY long time.
In the end, I had my AmigaOS4.1 Classic emulated environment. After the initial install, I shut down WinUAE and made a backup copy of the hdf file in case something messed up later. That install took too long to do again.
Now, I need to test what does and doesn’t work, as well as patiently wait for Toni to get the JIT QEMU PPC Core replacement so we can see some real speed! [This version seems a bit fragile so far]
Good Job Toni and Hyperion!
(p.s. Post-Install images):